ATVs are Welcome on Rocky Top Roads

Fall Jamboree 2014 (29)As of July 1, 2016, all-terrain vehicles are allowed on sections of Highway 25W and Highway 116 in Rocky Top.  The roads connect to Windrock Park, which is the largest privately-owned off-road recreation area in the country with over 72,000 acres that include off-highway vehicle trails, hiking trails and mountain biking trails.  It is also home to the Buffalo Mountain Wind Farm, which is comprised of 18 windmills.

The allowable ares are Highway 25W in Rocky Top from the intersection of Colonial Lane to the intersection at Jacksboro Avenue, Highway 116 from the intersection of Highway 25W to Beech Grove Road and Beech Grove Road to the entrance of Windrock Park.  Riding is only allowed between one-half (1/2) hour after sunrise and one-half (1/2) hour before sunset. The route will be marked with signage.  For more information, click here for a map.

Please note the following:

  • Anyone operating an ATV must be 16 years of age or older and have a valid driver’s license.
  • Anyone operating an ATV in the City of Rocky Top must register with the City of Rocky Top.
  • Each person riding on the vehicle must wear a helmet.
  • The vehicle must have working headlights and brake lights.  If the vehicle doesn’t have turn signals, the operator must use hand signals when turning.
  • The owner of the vehicle must have insurance on the vehicle and must be prepared to show proof of insurance.
  • Riders must lawfully operate their vehicle at all times.
  • Any violation of the state laws and the rules listed here will result in loss of privileges to operate vehicle on the specified road.

Riders can register with the City at Rocky Top City Hall and at the Rocky Top Police Station when City Hall is closed on evenings, weekends and holidays.

If you wish to access Windrock Park, you must purchase a separate permit.  Permits for Windrock Park are now being sold at Shop Rite, located at the intersection of Highway 25W and Highway 116.  Riders must obtain this permit in addition to the city’s permit to access Windrock’s property.